Sign up for our free email subscription and never miss a recipe.
I’ll be honest – if you don’t like Coca Cola, there isn’t much we can talk about 🙂 Well…this might be a bit strong, but I am in fact an absolute Cola fanatic and while I love drinking the soda straight, I have a hard time using it in craft cocktails. So instead, at Flair Project, we make it into a syrup.
And while you can make coca cola syrup from scratch, I suggest trying the easy “cheating” way by boiling some Mexican cokes which are going to get you superior results without having to hunt for bizarre ingredients in your local spice store.
We obviously use this syrup to sweeten cocktails but also to add a hip element to our drinks. Surprisingly, I think, people still get a kick out of reading coca cola syrup on a menu and these 3 words can spike up the interest in any cocktail menu.
I have been asked before and the best way I can describe coca cola syrup taste is caramel-like and that is why I use it almost exclusively as a caramel substitute.
Coca Cola Syrup
- 4 liters Mexican Coke
- 1/4 cup White Sugar (optional)
Pour 4 liters of Mexican Coca Cola in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat
Once boiling, turn the heat to medium and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the liquid has been reduced to about half
Take off the stove and let it cool completely
Pour the syrup in glass container and refrigerate
- Use Mexican coke because it is made with real cane sugar and it is much sweeter than American coke that is made with corn syrup.
- You can boil the coke syrup without sugar (that's what I do) and that way the syrup will be a bit more mild in flavor and sweetness. But if you prefer to have an extra coca cola punch in your cocktails, feel free to add sugar while boiling. This will not only make the syrup sweeter and thicker but it will also boost the cola flavor itself.
- If you keep boiling the syrup to reduce it to 1/8 of the original amount, you will affectively make a reduction (very thick syrup). Use reduction to top off cocktails, cakes, ice cream or to write letters on plates and decorate desserts.
- When refrigerated, this syrup will be good for up to 3 weeks.
Here are some of Coca Cola’s best friends:
- Anything Orange
We love your approval but we can also take fair criticism so rate and comment below 🙂